I’m ready now to fully embrace the shadow and love it for what it offers. Ultimately the ego has a purpose, it helps us to perceive separation here on Earth and it helps us to make discernment. The greatest gift of the ego however is to allow us to dive deep into Love. The contrast of the ego’s judgement, attack and criticism is deep diving into forgiveness, compassion, self-worth and love. The ego assists us to release the burden of fear and reignite our faith in Love.
Eckhart Tolle says the ego “is much more than an overinflated sense of self. It can also turn up in feelings of inferiority or self-hatred because ego is any image you have of yourself that gives you a sense of identity—and that identity derives from the things you tell yourself and the things other people have been saying about you that you’ve decided to accept as truth.” Read more here.
Whilst I’ve been consciously working to understand and worth with my ego since first reading Eckart’s teachings in 2007, it continues to be a source of challenge and evolution. I have discovered just how painful the ego can make my world – constantly projecting judgments about what is right, what is wrong, how I could be better, how I could be wrong. The criticisms, attack thoughts, comparisons and judgements are all signs that the ego is at work and if you’re having positive or negative responses to these thoughts, you may well be under the spell of the ego.
A Course in Miracles has been a loving guide for me over the past month for really facing some of these ‘spells’ and bringing my Inner Guide’s voice back into the forefront as my Guide. The Inner Guide (or Higher Self, God, Source etc) will help you return to Love as its voice is never judgmental, always loving and always in alignment with your greatest purpose and truth. The relief that comes from reconnecting with the Inner Guide when in the throws of an ego-attack is like a quenching drink whilst lost in the desert. It is life-saving! At this point, I receive a miracle – a shift in perception and a new doorway into the flow in revealed. Ah, sweet, sweet bliss.
Here are my 5 steps to making amends with the ego and bringing yourself back into alignment:
1. recognise your ego’s voice (hint: it usually says things like “he/she’s an idiot!”, “that shouldn’t be like that”, “You’ll never be as good as her”, “we’ll never have enough money for that” etc etc)
2. say an affirmation or prayer such as, “Even though I hear my ego’s thoughts/judgments/criticisms/comparisons, I forgive myself for having them.”
3. Make a choice for a loving perspective. “I choose to see Love instead of this”.
4. Allow the loving perspective to arise from your Inner Guide. You may experience a shift in your perspective, an awareness of your highest intention or the truth of the other person’s loving intentions.
5. Journal to reflect and cement your new-found perspective and tool. Feel proud of your effort – you’re facing the ego and releasing to Love again. What honourable and life-changing work!!
I find EFT (Tapping) a brilliant tool to continue to shift any resistance that arises during the day.
Have you got some tools that you use for shifting your perspective?
How do you make amends with your ego?